San Martino della Battaglia
A journey through history between Sirmione and San Martino della Battaglia.
1) The historic center of Sirmione is dominated by the Rocca Scogliera, a defensive building dating back to the 13th century that completely overlooks the water. Arranged on two towers it is
characterized by crenellated walls. It seems that Giosuè Carducci and Dante stayed there. Continuing the walk you reach the parish of S. Maria
Greater. It dates back to the 15th century. Typical in its architectural layout, it houses frescoes such as the Madonna with Child and a canvas by Voltolini.
2) San Martino della Battaglia is a fraction of Desenzano del Garda, once belonging to the suppressed municipality of Rivoltella.
It acquired its current name after the historic battle of San Martino during the second war of independence (24 June 1859), in which the forces of the Kingdom of Sardinia, led by Vittorio Emanuele II, allied with the French of Napoleon III, defeated the Austrians, led by Emperor Franz Joseph.